12 March 2012
i must say that despite the fact that i have a sweet tooth, i've never really been a fan of sugared cereals. i don't like how the milk gets unbearably sweet towards the end so i usually stick to cornflakes or special-K for my cereal choices. i don't even care for froot loops but when i was introduced fruity pebbles by a friend few years back, i was hooked. really really hooked! i love the fruity lemony flavor and the medley of colors and i could still remember on some busy days i actually had it for breakfast, lunch & dinner! this is probably also the only post cereal i eat. anyway, i think these rice krispies kinda treats are really common but i've never had it before so i decided to make some with the leftover marshmallows i had.
these were so good! using only 3 ingredients, this must be one of the easiest things to put together. i think i made it in less than 15 mins, real easy peasy! these were crispy yet chewy at the same time and because i used salted butter they tasted somewhat like salted caramel. very nice. i scaled down quite abit from the original recipe so i only yielded four squares. the colors were also very fun and pretty to look at, unfortunately i feel like i wasn't able to capture the beautiful colors because it had been so cloudy & rainy these few weeks :( oh well.
recipe source : gingerbreadbagels
ingredients (makes one 8" square pan) :
4 cups mini marshmallows
5 cups Fruity Pebbles
5 tbsps unsalted butter (i used salted)
1. measure out the mini marshmallows and Fruity Pebbles. set aside.
2. in a large saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over medium-low heat. once the butter is melted, add the mini marshmallows. stir the marshmallows until they’re melted.
3. remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the Fruity Pebbles. stir to completely coat the Fruity Pebbles with the marshmallow mixture.
4. put the Fruity Pebbles mixture into a lighty greased 8 by 8 inch pan. evenly spread it out and pat it down with a spatula.
5. Cut into squares and enjoy!